Monday, October 30, 2006

Tornado in Apalachicola...

I've not been posting lately as I have a commute that leaves me computerless. (leave before dawn and back after dark) Today I'm taking the day off to help clean up the mess tornado "Syphillis" left in her wake. I named the tornado myself.

Friday evening I was on my way back from Carrabelle under very dark and ominous skies. By the time I got to the Apalachicola bridge, visibility was next to zero and the wind was shrieking at 40 knots, according to the NOAA weather I was listening to on the VHS radio in my truck. It was pretty frightening to me as I thought it was going to flip my truck. Every one else had pulled over, but I thought if my truck was going over I'd like to not have to walk so far to town, so I kept going. I was very glad to get off the bridge and begin spreading the word of my bravery and driving skill, but the wind was let out of my sails when I coasted into town and saw the devastation caused by the tornado.

The streets in this community are laid out in a NE and SW direction and SE and NW for the perpendicular roads. As tornadoes generally travel in a north-easterly direction, this one traveled 26 blocks from the outskirts of town (at the IGA grocery store) straight up Ave. G (towards the NE) all the way to the apalachicola river. No deaths were reported, but there were several tales of wonder and miracles. The two story houseboat I built is fine; 20 feet away a metal building built to withstand hurricanes was totally destroyed. The people were INSIDE the metal building when a 16 foot outboard powered boat crashed through the structure. Aside from 40 stitches to the man of the house, no injuries were caused. WOW.

I guess I need to go get some more gas for my saw and get back to it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was worried about you, Cuz. Glad to hear you and your neighbors are safe. See you Thanksgiving,
Linda Ree

MF said...

Oh my. I'm so glad you (and everyone else) made it through OK. That gave me shivers (and a few chuckles, too--thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Prent! Glad you're ok---that's a long scary bridge in bad weather!

tc said...

Glad you're safe!
Terri