Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Crazy Pre-Thanksgiving...

Well, I'm in North Carolina now and things are already out of control. I've been at my folks house all afternoon and there are only ten of us here so far. It's already pretty dang loud. Tomorrow there will be thirty-five or so of us here. THAT sounds fun. Fortunately I'm camping about 30 miles south in the Pisgah nat'l forest and it's really quiet this time of the year. There are only a couple of the many campsites occupied and one of them's me. I'm really glad to have a place to go home to. It's after dark right now and it's still pretty, uh, what's the word, riotous.

On the way up here I stopped by to see my friend in Franklin, NC, and I'll swing by there on my way back. He loaned me a chair (as I forgot mine). We played Texas Hold-'Em at the restaurant where my friend works and I did fairly well. We played 'till about 4 am and it was heck driving up here the next day hung over and dog tired.

The first two days I camped I woke up to a fine dusting of snow which was such a welcome change from the dog days of Apalachicola. I've got an excellent supply of red oak, white oak and hickory to burn. The temp's cold enough at night to freeze a layer on the dog's water by 9pm. I LOVE it.

By the way, my cell phone wouldn't work as soon as I got out of my area code and the people at Trac-fone couldn't fix it remotely. They'll be sending me a new one which I'm not excited about reprogramming. I hope to have it back by the monday after Thanksgiving.

That's all for now!!

2 comments:

bamajane said...

Glad to hear you got there safely! I hope your Thanksgiving was fantastic! Can't wait to hear! Yes, your phone doesn't work. M

MF said...

I *love* camping in cold weather, waking up all cozy warm inside my sleeping bag with a frozen nose :)