Monday, June 26, 2006

Rainy afternoon and parking lot stripes...

Lately, it seems, we have been getting afternoon thundershowers reminiscent of the showers we got around here when I was a child visiting St. George Island. Every afternoon around 3:00pm the thunderheads would build and drench the place for about an hour. One could almost set one's clock by them. The weather's been behaving similarly for the past couple of weeks. I like it. It's made for cooler mornings, less dust and generally greener flora.

I finally sold the Ace Hardware on some parking lot stripes after trying for the past year. The owner said that he definately wanted it done, but he just wasn't ready yet. I've been pestering him relentlessly and finally Saturday he gave me the go ahead. Sunday morning at 7:00 I was down there sweeping lines and pulling the weeds out of the cracks. By 9:30 am I was within 6 lines of being through when my 4" roller fell apart. (yeah, I know, they're only 2 bucks; you would think I would keep a spare or two...) The ironic thing is that Ace doesn't open 'till 1:00pm on Sunday and I couldn't get a roller frame. Dang. They close at 5:00pm so I went back at 4:30 and bought another frame. It had already rained for the scheduled 3pm hour, so I thought I was safe. By the time the parking lot cleared the thunderheads started building again but I thought they were heading around us. I finished the last six lines and guarded them until 6:15 (they weren't dry yet, but the traffic had ceased) and got on my bike and headed back to the house. It's a two mile pedal and about two thirds of the way there it started POURING. (cry)

I fully expected to have to buy a bucket of asphalt sealer and seal a section of the lot and repaint it, but by some miracle the lines were fine! So I got paid, the guy has two more lots he wants striped and everyone's happy.

The End.

The End.

1 comment:

MF said...

I grew up in Orlando and Palm Beach and loooved the afternoon thunderstorms. You're right, you can set your clock by them. When I was a teenager, my employer (a fishmonger :) would send me out on errands in the rain because he knew I loved getting soaked. I'm glad that your work wasn't ruined by the downpour. The gods must have smiled on you and redirected the storm around your parking lot ;)