Thursday, June 22, 2006

Silly Dog...

Sometimes I wonder if my dog, Chester, is all there.

I was reading in the kitchen last night waiting for the roast in the slow oven to reach rare when I noticed Chester chasing flies. I've seen this behavior in him before, but never really watched the entire drama play out. (if you're wondering why I have numerous flies in the kitchen it's because the place is intolerably hot without the windows open [I'm too much of a miser to a/c the whole house] and the screen frames tend to not fit the openings; I'm guessing the homeowner scavenged them)

When I sat down to read I was vaguely aware of at least 4 flies. Chester was acutely aware of them. He would stalk them, one at a time, until he was in a position to be the center of the fly's attention and then snap it out of the air. He then would proceed to carefully dispatch it with his little front teeth, sniff it on the floor and make sure it was dead before devouring it with seemingly great gusto.

At this point I was chuckling and Chester went on to stalk the next victim. The mighty fly hunter. By the time he had caught and eaten all of the flies I was rolling. This was one of the funniest things I'd seen in a long time. When he was finished he looked at me with a sort of "what's so funny" look. I guess to him this is serious business. He made dang sure there were no more flies in the house before settling down to snooze. I guess he's unable to snooze with flies around, or mayhaps they are just plain delicious. We may never know.

For lack of anything more exciting to post this is what y'all get.

P.S.

It's been consistantly in the mid-90's for the past four days. I'm not loving it. Ouch.

4 comments:

MF said...

You were reading something and didn't mention what it was. This will haunt me.

My dogs (we have 3 labs) do the same thing. Ursa is the keenest fly-hunter of the three. She beads in on them, ears perked up, eyes narrowed...I've even seen her try pouncing them with her paws. Fargo is the laziest and only bothers with the biting flies.

I'm glad you're writing again. I missed you :)

prentice said...

I'm currently reading "Monsoon" by Wilbur Smith which is the sequel to "Birds of Prey". I enjoy his tales of adventure even though he has as many steamy scenes as Jean M. Auel. (clan of the cave bear series)

bamajane said...

What a HOOT! Our animals sure do make life nice! Love you! M

tc said...

Crazy Chester!! Tell him they taste better once they've dried out and are crispy ;-)
T